RE: architecture and security

HT: I'll comment in separate e-mail

> 2) Access control is backwards;
>    It doesn't make sense to apply access control to the '1 way RPC'
>    in the same sense as a regular RPC.  It is the manager who is
>    supposed to have access granted to view specific agent data -- not
>    the agent that is supposed to have access granted to
>    send the manager specific agent data.

HT: I agree w/the above but that's not the intention (yes, I know this
is not in the draft).
A manager has to have a subscription registered with the agent to
receive notifications. This can be done directly by the manager or by
some other means (e.g. manually on the device). You could explicitley
configure the subscription or reference some pre-defined profile.

Let's take case 1 above (i.e. manager creates a subscription) and add
the goal of leveraging existing NE security mechanisms. When a request
is issued (i.e. create subscription) the user's authorization is
validated (e.g. via external server or locally). The first level is to
determine whether or not the user is allowed to receive the type of
notifications which are being requested (e.g. config changes). At this
point, the request is accepted because a) the user is allowed to receive
all requested notifications or b) the user is allowed to receive a
subset but the agent applies an additional filter OR it is rejected
because the user is not allowed to receive all the requested
notification types. This IMO should be the base capability.

Some deployments will require additional granularity in which case going
down to the interface level should be sufficient. At least for
monitoring this allows partitioning the views/reception of notifications
and keeps down the administration burden.