Re: requirement: agent initiated session support

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:10:10AM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:
Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:18:59AM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:

[...]

I just added

* solution should support preconfigured notification destinations [AB]

What about the session and transport aspects, and losing
all the startup notifications if you use the subscription approach?
We have users and sessions in netconf, not host endpoints like snmp.

I fail to see how your comment applies to the quoted text. I do not
understand why you wrote the last sentence at all.

A destination is not enough in netconf, but I guess you meant
this is a generic sense

The subcription model helps to simplify management applications that
are not constantly running, such as a configuration tools that you
kick off once in a while (or periodically) to check and configure
things if the checks do not deliver the expected outcome.
It doesn't work if the agent initiates the session.

He? Please help me understand what you mean. I fail to match you
comment to the quoted text.

I don't think it's a good idea to use a design
which excludes important use cases.

The preconfigured approach requires that such an app
(a) first finds a suitable notification receiver,
(b) authenticates with this notification receiver,
(c) subscribes to this notification receiver
How is this any different if the client initiates it?
It's the same amount of code either way.

I favor a combined approach:

1) profile table
   Each profile contains the configuration data for that
   named profile

2) get rid of all the parameters in the start-notifications
   or modify-subscription except the profileName (index)

This way agents and managers can both share the profiles
and the manager won't reenter the same data in the most
complex manner possible every time.  I can configure
the agent to connect to notification receiver X using
profile Y.  The manager can just subscribe using profile Y.

(An agent may not allow a profile in use to be modified.)

Show me the detailed profile information you have in mind and how this
can be tweaked by an app that comes and goes and I will then tell you
whether I consider a plain subscription "the most complex manner
possible".

I'm not writing the data model now.
If you think the parameters in the current draft
are sufficient, then imagine those parameters
in a real data model instead of RPC parameters.

What about the problem of losing all the startup notifications?
If apps care about that they better configure a notification
receiver in NVRAM.  What about discovery?  Does it really scale
for 100000 agents to come up, and 1 or a few managers find all
of them and check if they support notifications, and then
start subscriptions on all the appropriate boxes?  It sure
seems easier to just configure the subset of agents which are
notification generators to connect to a receiver upon reboot.

To quote myself:

I just added

* solution should support preconfigured notification destinations [AB]

I do not understand your message.

You should add a requirement about scaling so it won't
get ignored.  The subscription model has some scaling
problems that don't exist in the traditional notification
generator application model.

/js

Andy