Re: requirement: agent initiated session support

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:18:59AM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:

[...]

I just added

* solution should support preconfigured notification destinations [AB]

to the wiki page.

> In general, I don't really see the subscription model
> as an improvement over the traditional configuration
> data model approach.  Even when used in the client-initiated
> mode, it isn't as efficient because the manager has to
> re-enter the config-data every time (in the form of a
> start-notifications RPC).  If the profile wasn't opaque
> that could be used instead.

The subcription model helps to simplify management applications that
are not constantly running, such as a configuration tools that you
kick off once in a while (or periodically) to check and configure
things if the checks do not deliver the expected outcome.

The preconfigured approach requires that such an app

(a) first finds a suitable notification receiver,
(b) authenticates with this notification receiver,
(c) subscribes to this notification receiver

before it can actually start to do its job. In other words, such apps
will always have a subscription and the question is whether you force
such apps to go through an intermediary or provide the means to talk
directly to the box in question.

Perhaps you don't like such apps or you do not care much about the app
side of things. This is the old story of finding the right balance
between the "complexity" on the agent and the "complexity" on the
manager. My SNMP experience is that the lack of a common way to
subscribe to SNMP notifications has been a pain.

Sure, with SNMPv3 you can in principle subscribe by configuring the
target tables but this (a) requires appropriate authorization rules
and (b) there is no standardized way to cleanup dynamic targets so
crashing apps leave garbage around which is painful to try to clean as
well.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany