Re: Why are we doing netconf?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 10:08:33AM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
> Here are some of the requirements .
>
> - Netconf content (without mapping )
> - Filtering
> - Subscription
> - Event classification

What are the classes you have in mind? Can you elaborate a bit more?

> - Structured content
> - Predictable content

What is predictable content?

> - reliable delivery (or ability to detect when things go wrong)
> - event replay

Why is that a requirement? What is this good for in operational
environments?

> - Ability to support different types of events (alarms, logs,
> configuration snippets, etc)

Is "configuration snippets" and event type? Is logs == syslog
messages?

> - XML encoding (not a big driver, but certainly a major industry
> direction)

If XML encoding is a requirement, is then not structured content
superfluous? Since netconf content is XML, is even the XML requirement
superfluous?

I am asking these questions simply because I want to understand what
people mean when they throw in some terms.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany