From: Rainer Gerhards [mailto:rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:16 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:ZZ00:EXCH]; netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Why are we doing netconf?

Sharon,

> <Rainer>
> *If* the primary motivation to include notifications is to replace
> syslog, I think a shared effort with the syslog community would be
> benefitial. </Rainer>
>
> That isn't our primary motivation. It is just that some
> people feel that
> some of the requirements can be met by this existing
> solution, which is
> why it comes up.

From following the list (but sometimes briefly), I have to admit that I
do not have a clear impression on what the primary motivation is and why
a separate event logging protocol is needed. I think it would help
immensely if there would be description of what is intended and why
syslog can not do the job. That would also help focus the document on
these topics. Besides, it might be easy to modify syslog to solve
issues...

I am aware that there is a requirements/motivation discussion. I think
this discussion is useful for the reasons outlined above.

Rainer