Re: no interim meeting -- read the rules

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:57:55AM +0200, Balazs Lengyel wrote:

> For us notifications are needed mostly not as a logging mechanism but as:
> - a way to notify about configuration changes
> - a way to notify the management system about delayed results of an RPC
> (e.g. when an RPC initiated action takes 10 minutes to complete we send an
> immediate reply <started> and a late reply <finished>)
> - to notify the network management system (NMS) about things that might
> need operator action. (While alarm handling is mostly SNMP there is a need
> for some other events to be handled by the NMS.)
>

> For these reasons we do need a notification mechanism. We could use
> - SNMP: but if we have an XML based hierarchical data model with meaningful
> names using SNMP is not my choice.
> - Syslog: but the message size limit of less then 480 octets seems a
> problem. Also I like subscription. Adding XML to syslog needs some work. We
> have to care about a second transport/security mechanism TLS (I don't know
> if this is a real problem).
> - Netconf-notifications: This would mean a somewhat unified structure
> within Netconf. Using our XML-based hierarchical data model would be
> natural.

This is useful input.

In order to avoid a formal requirements document, I suggest we simply
collect motivations and requirements in an easy and simple online
format in one place until we believe we have something we can agree
on. I am willing to play the editor for this. I created an initial
wiki page:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/netconf-charter.html

Please send additions and clarifications (lets try to do some work in
the mailing list ;-).

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany