Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>> From: Joe Touch [mailto:touch@ISI.EDU]
>
>> And with what port would I reach this magical DNS that would
>> provide the SRV record for the DNS itself?
>
> You use fixed ports for the bootstrap process and only for the bootstrap
> process.

Which means that the DNS port needs to be well-known or fixed in advance.

Some other issues to be considered:

	- this change would make the DNS required for proper Internet
	operation, whereas it is currently optional (i.e., only for
	finding the IP address).]

	- hosts may run services but not have control over their own
	DNS entry (or SRV records)

	- firewalling based on ports would no longer be useful
	(one could argue it should not be, but that's a different issue)

>>> Fixed ports do not work behind NAT. Anyone who wants to deploy IPv6
>>> would be well advised to pay careful attention to that restriction.
>>> SRV ports work just fine behind a NAT.
>> Except that many NATs also intercept DNS requests and
>> redirect them to their own servers, for their own purposes,
>> which can interfere with SRV records (by design).
>
> People who do this are rarely trying to break things.

They don't *try* to break things, but then tend to. ;-)

As to 'by design', they're not so much trying to break as to 'help'
(usually for their own purposes).

Joe