Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-netconf-ssh-05.txt to Proposed Standar d [I06-051127-0011]

This seems to argue that any service that needs to be assigned a port number must be using a port number <1024. (After all, if it didn't, anyone could grab that port.) As a matter of widely accepted practice, that is no longer the case. For example, SIP servers (and proxies) use ports above 1024. In fact, if you look at the IANA registries, many, many, protocols use well known ports above 1024. I can not see any reason that NetConf is any more special than a lot of those protocols.
So why should netconf demand a port less than 1024.

(As far as I can tell, the distinction between <1024 and >1024 ought to be removed. There is nothing the IETF is defining that benefits from that distinct. that abolition is enhanced if we stop trying to make special use of <1024 port. If that were my only reason, or even the most important reason, I wouldn't bother sending this.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

At 04:47 PM 3/17/2006, Eliot Lear wrote:
Ira,
> If Netconf is not a _ubiquitous_ general replacement for SNMP
> and other legacy configuration protocols for ALL network
> elements, then it's not a critical system service - period.

SNMP didn't start as a ubiquitous replacement for anything.  It's a
mistake to make this decision based on popularity.  The question in my
opinion is ONLY a matter of who can bind the port and what impact it can
have.  Now, arguably one could argue that if you get your process
initiation order correct, this isn't a problem.  On the other hand, if a
process can be killed, then the problem recurs.  This to me is the
technical issue.  It's not a political vanity.  If we were talking
about, oh, say, the "talk" or "finger" protocols, I'd feel differently...

Eliot