Re: use of netconf to configure Unix systems

Randy Presuhn writes:
> I'm intrigued by the concern that netconf should be assigned a Unix
> privileged port.

The IANA terminology is "well known port number", and a comment in the
IANA port-numbers file says they "... on most systems can only be used
by system (or root) processes or by programs executed by privileged
users." So I wouldn't be too fixated on Unix - although I'm not
familiar with how non-Unix systems actually handle this.  Whatever.

> Does this mean that someone has or is developing a netconf data
> model to configure Unix hosts or applications?

Not in their entirety, as far as I know, but YencaP is an example of a
NETCONF server implementation that runs on Unix hosts and provides
configuration access to some applications, in particular Zebra's BGP
daemon.

Note also that not all Unix-based systems are hosts in the classical
sense, many routers and other appliances are also based on Unix
(Juniper's are just one example).

> Are there other reasons for running a netconf server on a Unix host?

I can think of plenty.  I guess many vendors of Unix-based appliances
want to hide the traditional Unix way of configuring things
(a maze of twisty config files under /etc, all in different formats).
--
Simon.