Re: use of netconf to configure Unix systems

Hi!

> I'm intrigued by the concern that netconf should be assigned a Unix
> privileged port.
> Does this mean that someone has or is developing a netconf data
> model to configure Unix hosts or applications?  Are there other
> reasons for running a netconf server on a Unix host?

I have been following netconf with the idea of borrowing much of it
for management/monitoring/configuring of operating-systems and
applications.  [I was originally drawn to netconf because of the
potential for event propagation.]

It dont think it needs to have a privileged port for either platforms
(e.g. windows or unix) to play that roll since (hopefully)
non-administrator/non-root users should not be able to change
configuration without the apporopriate underlying permissions.

Also, is the privileged port space becoming scarce?

Bobby