RE: Evaluation: draft-ietf-netconf-ssh-05.txt to Proposed Standar d [I06-051127-0011]

Eliot Lear wrote:

> McDonald, Ira wrote:
> > Netconf is at best a 'niche' protocol at present, because:
> >
> > (a) Netconf currently has no standard data models
> >

> This has no bearing on the protocol.  We're not going to change ports
> if/when this problem is solved.
> > (b) Netconf currently is intended for use only with routers and
> >     other intermediate network elements
> >

> So what?
> > (c) Netconf operations have fuzzy semantics, due to the lack of any
> >     standard data models (e.g., "merge this blob with that blob")
> >

> This is the same as (a).
>
> > Therefore, Netconf in not plausibly a critical system service.
> >

> That doesn't follow.  If device config gets shoved around it's a
> critical system service - there are few more critical.

Hi Eliot,

If Netconf is not a _ubiquitous_ general replacement for SNMP
and other legacy configuration protocols for ALL network
elements, then it's not a critical system service - period.

Using IANA-assigned "Well Known Ports" is a political vanity
issue - not a technical issue.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc