Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-netconf-ssh-05.txt to Proposed Standar d [I06-051127-0011]

Phil Shafer wrote:
"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" writes:
But am amswer of "it doies not matter" does not help the IANA
to make an assignment. We as a WG must choose. If it does not
matter, then I guess we're saying >1024.

Sorry, that was what I meant.  If it doesn't matter to the
netconf protocol, we shouldn't be eating the relatively
scarce resource.  Especially three of them.

I see your point.
AFAIK, the WG never discussed the need for a port number < 1024
in any detail.  Since our authorization schemes don't rely on a system
port number to work ;-) and the WG never specifically decided this issue,
we should revisit this question.

Why do we need system port numbers?
If we don't, then Phil is right, we should get numbers > 1024.
(Eliot, do you have a response?)
Thanks,
 Phil

Andy