Re: Capabilities and MIBs

Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Vincent Cridlig" <vincent.cridlig@loria.fr>; <dbharrington@comcast.net>; <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:38 AM
Subject: RE: Capabilities and MIBs

That's an important clarification, because the discussion since
yesterday very much related to SNMP MIBs.
If we are talking about supported versions (capabilities) of the netconf
data model in agents, my assumption was that a list of namespace URIs
would be enough, and those would include information about versions.

This brings us full circle to my question.  To re-phrase:
 will there be anything analogous to AGENT-CAPABILITIES for
netconf data models?

Good question. One of many completely unknown aspects of netconf data modeling. - what does a netconf data model look like, independent of the NETCONF protocol? (different subsets are allowed for different operations and different capabilities.
   How does XSD deal with this again? ;-)
- what does netconf modularity look like?
- how do modules easily use definitions from other modules?
- what do nested tables and "row" instance naming look like? - what does netconf data model conformance look like? - what does netconf data model conformance variation look like? (your question)
- what is the access control model that provides for RPC method invocation
   control in addition to data access control?
- what is the model for partial database locking?

However all this is out of scope for the time being.
That doesn't mean that individuals and vendors can't work on the answers now. It would be good to have reasonable answers before any standards effort begins.

Randy

Andy