MIDCOM MIB access control

Hi,

> I think the security community made experiences differing from yours.
>
> Let's take your example and replace the thief by one of your kids.
> You would give your kid AND your wife access to the coins you collect
> somewhere in the kitchen for giving tips to delivery service or for
> paying stamps and so on.  But you probably would only give your wife
> access to your checking account and block access from your kids to the
> account.

My response was to Tom's message, which was about the SAME underlying
instrumentation, and the only thing two mibs provide are two interfaces
to the same underlying data structures.

	"Agreed that they both address the same underlying data
structures, but I would think security setup would be simpler if you
could specify access by module rather than having to do it object by
object."

That's not two piles of money; it's two checkbooks to the same
underlying account. One of the things you really need is a mechanism
that allows you to specify different permissions for different persons
to the same datastore. That's what VACM provides.

Dbh