RE: [midcom] MIDCOM MIB design question

Thanks Dave.
I agree.

Having two separate modules is not wrong; but it isn't necessary, and it
doesn't bring any real benefits. You can simplify the VACM config using
separate subtrees within the same module, or just separate tables.

I expect that the network manager may want to look at some of the
information being set by the MIDCOM agent, so two users will need access
to the same data. A MIDCOM agent that had access to the statistics of
different middleboxes might be able to choose which middlebox would
provide the fastest/cleanest path between endpoints, so while not
required to implement MIDCOM, access to the management information might
be helpful.

The data involved here appears to be closely related, and I recommend it
be kept  together in the same mib.  The separation into different
modules is just an unnecessary complexity based on thinking about two
different applications and the specific objects they use. If we follow
that reasoning, do we need to define a new mib module for every type of
application that might look at MIDCOM data? Should we put the traps into
a separate module because a fault/trap manager might only look at the
traps? Should we separate the statistics from the mappings tables
because some performance management applications only need the
statistics and not the maps? Should we put NAT-related MIDCOM statistics
in one module and the firewall-related MIDCOM statistics in another
module because applications might focus on one or the other but not
both?

This is not a good way to approach defining a data set to monitor and
manage MIDCOM functionality.
--

You should understand something sbout me. One of the things I usually
fight against is large modules; I prefer smaller modules because it

If N is counting the things created in M, you have a N->M normative
dependency. If M is defining the priority of the rules created in N,
then you have a M->N normative dependency. These modules will never be
able to advance independent of each other.

You haven't discussed whether your intention would be to publish two
mibs in the same document, or different documents. If you put two mibs
in the same document, then the issue of normative references between
documents goes away and we can ignore it.

If you define two mibs within the same document, you create the need to
import a lot of the objects from one into the other. Under those
conditions, I don't see a real benefit from doing this. There aren't
major downsides either, but it does increase the complexity
unnecessarily when you could simply use subtrees within the same mib.

dbh