RE: [midcom] MIDCOM MIB design question

Hi Juergen,

SNMP is a protocol that manipulates sets of data on remote devices. The
set of data is typically used by many users. You separate mib data sets
by the functionality they contain, not by which "user" will use it.

It would be really helpful if you were more explicit about the
requirements and the separate objects you think are needed in each mib.
Objects that "serve management purposes" means nothing to me. It depends
on the manager.

I might have one network manager or application whose job is to monitor
performance, and he/it might use ifInOctets in its calculations. I might
have a second application whose job is to isolate faulty interfaces, and
it might use ifInOctets. I might have an intruder detection system that
watches for anomalies and it might use ifInOctets. I wouldn't want three
duplicate ifInOctet objects to rpvoide this information just because I
happen to have three different managers/users looking at the datum for
different purposes.

You did list three things as management:
1)  the priority with which requested pinholes are configured in the
firewall,
2) a table showing the mapping of MIDCOM pinholes to firewall resources
or of MIDCOM NAT sessions/bindings to NAT resources,
3) a protocol statistics table listing the set of active MIDCOM
sessions, protocol errors, etc.

I'm not quite sure what type of priority you are referring to in 1).
Priority relative to what? To other pinholes? To other firewall rules?
To other MIDCOM rules within a group? To other MIDCOM groups? The
priority of the operator performing the opeation? The priority of the
operation versus other tasks the device needs to perform?

The MIDCOM MIB manipulates the mappings of MIDCOM pinholes to resources,
so the map available to monitor this mapping belongs in the same mib, in
my opinion. You don't need to duplicate the information just so another
user can read it.

Statistics are about the MIDCOM sessions and whatnot being configured in
this mib. You don't need to separate which mib this is in.

It is generally better to keep the status related to a functionality in
the same mib as the configuration of the functionality. Statistics are
part of status, and so are the configuration settings.

dbh