[idn] IDNA: meaning of 'verify'

The IDNA draft
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-idna-14.txt)
contains the word 'verify' in several critical locations, for
example:

 (a) Verify the absence of non-LDH ASCII code points; that is,
     the absence of 0..2C, 2E..2F, 3A..40, 5B..60, and 7B..7F.

I haven't found any kind of 'definition' of 'verify'. My imagination
says that 'verify' means: Check, and throw an error if the check
isn't successful.
Can anybody confirm? Is it possible to make this clear in the draft?

Also, there is a typo in that the term 'UseSTD13ASCIIRules flag'
is used once, where otherwise, it is   'UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag'.

Regards,    Martin.