Re: [idn] IDNA: meaning of 'verify'

Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org> wrote:

> there is a typo in that the term 'UseSTD13ASCIIRules flag' is used
> once, where otherwise, it is 'UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag'.

Good catch.  I guess we'll fix this during the 48-hour author review (if
the RFC editor hasn't already caught it and fixed it by then).

>  (a) Verify the absence of non-LDH ASCII code points; that is,
>      the absence of 0..2C, 2E..2F, 3A..40, 5B..60, and 7B..7F.
> >>>>

> I haven't found any kind of 'definition' of 'verify'.  My imagination
> says that 'verify' means:  Check, and throw an error if the check
> isn't successful.
>
> Can anybody confirm?

It's not a technical term, it's just the plain English word "verify".
"Verify the absence of foo" means look and make sure that there is no
foo.  If you look and see foo, then your attempt to verify the absence
of foo has failed.

> Is it possible to make this clear in the draft?

I thought it was clear from this:

    It is important to note that the ToASCII operation can fail.
    ToASCII fails if any step of it fails.

    ToUnicode never fails.  If any step fails, then the original input
    sequence is returned immediately in that step.

Do you think this needs clarification?

AMC