Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt

At 3:07 PM +0900 10/31/02, Martin Duerst wrote:
Can you (or somebody else) tell us where the right place is?
The right place should be ietf@ietf.org. I say "should" because that is the proper forum, not because I am suggesting that you take this debate there. It has been discussed repeatedly there, with no resolution. You could bring it there, of course; if you do, it would be polite if you read the archives first. Note that being polite is at all a proven requirement for the IETF discussion list...

Also, it seems that this WG has a much clearer need than many/
most WGs on this issue,
It is, as far as I can tell, the *only* WG that has any need. The other value of UTF-8 Internet Drafts is that document authors can spell their names correctly. (For those not following closely, Martin actually does not have a "ue" in his last name, and Patrik actually does not have either an "a" or an "o" in his last name.)

 and so it may be helpful to document
that need clearly enough as a need of the WG, rather than as
an idea of some individuals.
Well, you have to define "need". It might be difficult to do U+xxxx-to-visual mapping for the draft in question, but is that really a "need"? It is rude for you and Patrik and many others to have to misspell your name in the documents you write, but is that really a "need"? Needs and desires are quite different things.

My suggestion is that you simply write up a carefully-scoped Internet Draft on the topic and submit it. Be sure to have a mailing list for the draft, and be sure to invite at least a few ADs to the list early on. Starting a "discussion" on the IETF mailing list is 99.9% assured to go nowhere without an Internet Draft behind it. With an Internet Draft, you have a greater chance of success.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium