Re: [idn] Re: IDNA problem statement

Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

> > "... to include the Unicode repertoire with some restrictions."
>
> While I agree with the intent, I wonder if the text should be more
> specific that just saying "some".

This is just the introduction, so it's not expected to fill in all the
details.  I think the reader will naturally assume that the specific
restrictions will be given later in the document.

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> wrote:

> "some restriction" sounds unprecise to me.

Because it is.  For the purposes of the problem statement, the essential
fact is that the repertoire is expanded from a small one to a large one.
Mentioning Unicode is helpful because many readers will immediately
recall the two primary characteristics of Unicode (it's big, and it aims
to include all characters from all other repertoires).  But additional
details regarding how much of Unicode is or is not allowed would just
distract from the point of this section, which is to describe the
problem being addressed.

In fact, I'd even put "with some restrictions" in parentheses, to make
it clearer that the restrictions are unimportant to understanding the
problem statement.

AMC