RE: [idn] Re: IDNA problem statement

At 12:09 PM -0400 10/15/02, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
 > > Your text is very useful.  I have only one minor comment on
 that first
 > sentence -- it might be good to make it clear that not the entire
 > Unicode repertoire is included, but a Unicode repertoire with some
 > restrictions.  Having this in mind early on makes it easier to
 > comprehend what is going on later when some strings trigger errors.
 >
 > "... to include the Unicode repertoire with some restrictions."

 While I agree with the intent, I wonder if the text should
 be more specific that just saying "some".
 But it is hard to do this without having a forward reference
 to either sections in the document, or referring to nameprep.

 Ideas?
A reference to nameprep would work:

"... to include the Unicode repertoire with restrictions described in
[NAMEPREP]."

Although this is true, it feels like it is too early in the IDNA document to say this. Having the problem statement contain no references makes it much easier to read. "with some restrictions" tells the reader enough to know what Simon wanted, which is that it isn't the entire repertoire.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium