Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 02:23:50PM +0200, Erik Nordmark wrote:

> > BTW, if IDN display issue deserves this specification, why doesn't IDN
> > copy&paste  recommendation  have its place in the document ?
> > I think copy&paste is a kind of higher-layer communication protocol between
> > processes which may reside on the same machine or on the two different
> > machines. That requires proper negotiations between applications/OSes to
> > work correctly.
>
> I think this would be a slippery slope.

I agree.

> If we think copy&paste
> needs to be specified in the standard, then the case can be made
> the other implementation specific inter-application communication mechanisms
> (such as Unix pipes etc) warrant the same level of specification.

Sure it is. copy&paste is the only available input method of exotic foreigh scripts
to most end users. I think IDN copy&paste issue is closer to IDN *input* issue.
Input and Display should receive the same concerns.

> Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a well-informed and well-written
> informational document which discusses implementation issues around copy&paste
> if such a document provides useful information to the community.

Do you think above IDN display issue can be separated from the IDNA document and
then be put into new "Informational" supplementary document ?