Re: [idn] Re: Document Status?

--On 2002-09-02 11.43 +0900 Soobok Lee <lsb@postel.co.kr> wrote:

> Yes, if and only if we enforce that the copy & paste buffer should
> *always* be filled  with the ACE-encoded IDN .

Not needed if the copy-paste buffer can include tagged data. You talk about
transcoding tables, but for many non-unicode charsets the mapping table is
a 1:1 mapping, especially Unicode strings after Nameprep has been applied.
And, there is no problem with tagged data to say that "for this type, this
transcoding table is to be used.

You talk about X11 which only have charset information in the tagging, and
yes, there it might be problematic. On other operating systems, like MacOS,
there will be no problem.

But, as you point out, if an application is conservative and only give out
ACE to other applications, you will be safe, as all IDNA-aware applications
can detect and decode ACE.

Be conservative with what you send, and generous with what you receive.

    paf