Re: [idn] Document Status?

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 06:03:00PM +0200, Patrik F?ltstr?m wrote:

> (a) I get an email with IDNA encoded sender address. I want to add that to
> some address book software. That imply copy and paste from email program to
> address book program. The email address have ACE encoded labels in them.
>
> (a1) The email program understand IDNA, but not the address book program.
> As it understands IDNA, it will display (if the script and font exists) the
> correct Unicode characters, and not the ACE encoded string. Now, the copy
> operation happens, and I would if I were the email programmer put two (2)
> things in the paste buffer: One "email address" which is the ACE encoded
> string. Same thing as what is passed in SMTP or POP. One which is the
> address in Unicode (or local script, which will be named as part of the
> tag). The addressbook which fetches data from the paste buffer gets the
> string, and notice it is ace encoded, and can choose to decode that if it
> can/know etc.

I often run xterm and then launch MUTT (or PINE).
Even if MUTT would become IDNA-aware in the future, copy & paste operations
grab the IDN-like strings directly from the xterm, not from the MUTT.
So, the MUTT cannot have any opportunity to toss ACE-encod the IDN into the
receiving applications or the clip board area. Text-based MUA does not have
any copy&paste support to/from it. Xterm does all the job.

Consistent IDNA-specific and IDNA-aware copy&paste operations, if we make any,
should be implementable and meaningful also in xterm which has been regarded
as a purely textual application.

Soobok Lee