Re: [idn] The purpose of IDN

on 9/1/2002 3:25 PM Dave Crocker wrote:

> This suggests strongly that the charter and the working group process
> adequately characterized *neither* the problem to solve nor the benefactors
> of the solution.
>
> Here is my own effort at doing both:

> 4.  A long history of making changes to Internet infrastructure highly
> recommends finding a way to do this enhancement so that it a) does not
> disturb the installed base, b) interworks with that installed base, and c)
> permits incremental benefit when there is incremental adoption.

I would reiterate the factual point that IDNA requires a forklift upgrade
of the Internet's current application clients, and it therefore does not
satisfy the ground covered in points "a" and "b".

Call it what it is, not what we want it to be. It's a cute hack that
allows for the sale and register of i18n domain names, and which may allow
for the visual representation of these domain names once compliant
applications are deployed.