Re: [idn] nameprep vs. stringprep

Edmon Chung <edmon@neteka.com> wrote:

> Agreed... but not convinced that the CJK tables do not have an
"intended"
> use.  At least the T/SC table is already actively being used by a
couple of
> domain operators.

Ah, see, I knew that was the intent all along.  This is another attempt
to force IDN to perform 1-to-1 TC/SC mapping by having IETF "publish"
the proposed table in the stringprep document and then insisting that
IDN implement the conversions specified in the "official" table.

TC/SC equivalence is not 1-to-1.  Implementations that pretend that it
is will confuse and mislead Chinese speakers who expect true,
context-based equivalence.  Domain operators who implement 1-to-1 TC/SC
mapping tables are out of conformance with the IDN proposal.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California