Re: [idn] nameprep vs. stringprep

And, as folks can see on the list, the drafts with the tables moved
have been published.

As far as we know, there is literally no change for the IDN WG with
these new drafts from the previous ones. The exact same characters
are mapped and prohibited. If we made a mistake in this, by all means
let us know.

The only significant change that will affect other WGs that use
stringprep is that only Unicode normalization form KC is specified.
Our thinking is that if we specified both NFC and NFKC, we would need
many more tables and there is a much higher chance of error. No one
has given a strong argument for using NFC, other than objections to
some of the mappings in NFKC, which cannot be changed by the Unicode
Consortium without breaking a lot of deployed software. If other
working groups want us to allow NFC and create and check the
additional tables, we will probably hear about it during IETF last
call.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium