Re: [idn] WG last call summary

Mats Dufberg wrote:

> > He is right that this whole project is about the tradeoffs in costs of
> > fixing things and costs incurred when things break. Where you disagree
> > is on the resolution of those tradeoffs.
>
> I do not agree with your conclusion.

Really? I was hoping that we could at least agree on this. OK, let me
analyze the factors that might possibly be relevant to our decision.

1. Cost vs. benefits (including time to market, etc.)
2. The fact that many people want to do it a particular way.
3. Our sense that a particular solution is more elegant or nice.
4. Special interest groups.
5. The structure of the IETF decision-making process that mandates
     that we do things in a way not dictated by 1 through 4.

Have I left out any possibilities here? I am just trying to say that
number 1 is the main determining factor and probably has led to
us being where we are now. And that the final specification will
logically be justifiable in these terms.

Bruce