Re: [idn] WG last call summary

On Mar 19, 2002, 14:06 (+0900) Bruce Thomson <bthomson@fm-net.ne.jp> wrote:

> Perhaps you mean sendmail, not DNS? DNS is already 8-bit clean and works
> fine with UTF.

No, I'm talking about DNS. -- No, I don't agree with your statement about
DNS. -- Hey, should we repeat the entire discussion aobut DNS, from which
most of us came to the conclusion that ACE was the best solution? :-)

> Sendmail and various other apps apparently don't, and that's what Dan
> was referring to. That's why I couldn't understand why you said he was
> off the subject.

The mail protocol sets a limit to 7 bits (independently of any bugs in
sendmail). Is the mail protocol a topic of this working group?

Mr. Bernstein has a hang on some bugs in sendmail (or are they just
limitations due to the design), and he repeats that i every second mail.
He should discuss those bugs with the sendmail people, and possibly with
those who have installed his own MTA. It does not belong to any of the
IETF mail lists I belong to.

> He is right that this whole project is about the tradeoffs in costs of
> fixing things and costs incurred when things break. Where you disagree
> is on the resolution of those tradeoffs.

I do not agree with your conclusion.

Mats

Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>