Re: [idn] WG last call summary

Mats Dufberg:

> We have a reality, and changing to a new model will require a transition.
> A good protocol will respect those two factors.

I agree.

> IETF's task is not to repair software bugs or remove limitations set by
> the software authors, but when writing new protocol, the IETF has to
> respect the reality and to a cerain extent, the effects on currently
> installed programs.

Right.

> If we would create DNS from nothing today, we would do it differently. In
> that case, UTF-8 would be a good candidate for the coding scheme. But we
> already have DNS, and that fact connot be neglected.

Perhaps you mean sendmail, not DNS? DNS is already 8-bit clean and works
fine with UTF. Sendmail and various other apps apparently don't, and that's
what Dan was referring to. That's why I couldn't understand why you said
he was off the subject.

He is right that this whole project is about the tradeoffs in costs of fixing things
and costs incurred when things break. Where you disagree is on the resolution
of those tradeoffs.

Bruce