RE: [idn] a few more comments on the last call documents

> Kent Karlsson <kentk@md.chalmers.se> wrote:
>
> >  "...SHOULD show the name in ACE format... This is to make
> is to make
> >  it easier to transfer the name correctly to other
> programs"; cut and
> >  paste works very well also for strings that contain characters not
> >  in the font used at the moment, using an ACE display will
> be more of
> >  problem than help.
>
> It depends on the platform and the GUI.  Sometimes copy/paste
> retrieves
> a string from the application,

Correct behaviour.

> but sometimes it just retrieves a string
> from the GUI corresponding to exactly what is displayed.

Any such system/application is SEVERELY FLAWED.  What is displayed
is glyphs.  In many cases there is no (uniquely) corresponding character.
For example (taking a Latin script example) an fj-ligature glyph,
or a Brahmic script ligature glyph, or a sequence of (positioned,
as all glyphs) subglyphs.  Or consider a BIDI string, correctly displayed.

I'd suggest NOT taking such severely flawed implementations into account.

		Kind regards
		/kent k