Re: [idn] Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

[Note: header field too long; To & Cc header snapped - JS]

At 07:12 AM 2/5/2002 +0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>Dave Crocker writes:
> > we have moved from technical specification into analysis of human
behavior

>Wake up, Dave: Human behavior is a central issue. The whole point of
>IDNs is to improve the user interface. IDNs are supposed to allow
>_humans_ to see non-ASCII glyphs in domain names.

wake up, dan.  there is a difference between providing a richer set of
characters, versus trying to solve open research topics in language
equivalence or even script equivalence.

>You say that the IETF is exceedingly bad at this. No argument there.

but what the heck.  let's insist that the IETF solve this open research
topic anyhow, right?

> > In point of fact, this "attack" has been performed, presumably with
> > some success.
>
>You admit that some users have been fooled by domain names with similar
>appearance, yet you continue to advocate that we allow domain names
with
>_identical_ appearance, names that can't be visually distinguished even
>by the most careful reader.

Provide an existing specification for solving this problem outside the
domain name service.  Provide a basis for believing that it has gained
wide
acceptance.

Oh.  You can't do that.

wow.

d/

>  Wow.
>
>---Dan

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464