Re: [idn] stringprep comment 2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam M. Costello"
To: "IETF idn working group"
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: [idn] stringprep comment 2

> This message argues both sides of the issue.  :)
>
> Soobok Lee  wrote:
>
> > The latter can be as catastrophic as the former.
>
> I assume you meant that false negatives (where names don't match when
> they should) can be as catastrophic as false positives (where names
> match when they shouldn't).  Can you back up that claim?

false postives result in "errors".
false negative result in "failures", like shutdown of authoritaive DNS servers.

end users of old clients would meet
"host not found", "email address is not found" failture notices.
They will be rejected to access the desired informations/resources/people in a timely manner,
even without any clues/explanations to such failures. They will be get lost and be frustrated.

Permanent/temporary shutdown of the 13 root servers are not errors, but catastrophic .

Soobok Lee