Re: [idn] Prohibit CDN code points

At 12:43 PM 1/23/2002 +0100, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>The Unicode tables are approved by the Unicode Consortium and ISO, and we
>can not in the IETF "undo" that unification procedure.

A variation to the cliche "if the only tool you have is a hammer, then
everything starts looking like a nail" applies to this working group:  If
the only venue you have is an IETF working group, then everything starts
looking as if it is within scope of the working group.

As Patrik has once again reminded everyone, this entire discussion is
entirely outside the scope of this working group.  We can choose to use
Unicode or not, but we cannot "fix" it.

The task of this working group is to find a way for the DNS to use
character strings that are more diverse than ASCII.  As has been often
explained, character strings are not the same as words.  Comparing strings
is different from comparing words.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464