Re: [idn] Prohibit CDN code points

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:18:01PM +0100, Patrik F?ltstr?m wrote:
> > Dear all members,
> >
> > What about having additional prefix(es) for extension like TC/SC issue ?
> > For example, az-- for normal IDNA and bz-- for chinese-extension IDNA
> > and so forth. It may serve as an context information or language tag.
>
> And, yes, you can do this, but as i have pointed out before, this means
> every server needs to know about all matching algorithms.

I am talking about IDNA. With IDNA, we do not add matching algorithm
to any server. Some client may try "az--" and it fails, it may try
"bz--" with TC/SC feature-enabled preprocessing, while others only
try "az--". I know this may look quite ugly. But, current IDN proposal
seems premature in terms of internationalization at least from the Chinese
people's point of view.

Allowing Unicode be used where only ASCII was used before is not enough
for internationalization. We should prepare an enough room in which
localization can be done while complying with internationalized standards.

> I.e. if you open the box of "problems" with Unicode, you will find that the
> SC/TC problem is only one of them. Only one.

Yes, I totally agree.

> I guess we have some 20-30
> other problems which are similar to the SC/TC, i.e. problems because of
> unification or non-unification in Unicode.

Why are we going to hide and ignore problems even though we know they are
there ?

> My conclusion is the same, every server need to have knowledge about how to
> handle all encodings.

My conclusion is the same with yours.

--
YangWoo Ko : newcat@spsoft.co.kr