----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrik Fältström" <paf@cisco.com>
> >     For example, .cn domain can say "SC/TC mapping must be
> >     enabled for .cn" if it considers that decision serves the
> >     .cn domain name users best.  If another domain, say .us,
> >     finds contrary, it can say "SC/TC must be disabled for .us".
>
> This will not work because _all_ DNS servers in the world need to be able
> to fulfil matchings according to the rules the .cn TLD decides. That in

This is not true. As long as the .cn DNS does the matching internally and
provide a consistent response, why would "all" servers in the world need to
be able to fulfil the matchings?  If you are arguing how the application
then use the information to connect to the destination server, thats another
issue.  But by zone rules are possible.

> And, one thing DNS likes is when one label have the same matching
algorithm
> regardless of what "neighbour" labels are in the DNS packet. Leaving this
> strategy and have different matching rules for the same octets depending
on
> context is a _very_ big change to all existing DNS implementations.

I agree with you on this.  But I dont think what is being discussed is
"neighbour-label" dependent matching rules, instead it is the ability for
zone operators to decide which options they could pick and choose from to do
internal matching.  And I think it is agreeable that it makes sense to have
a standardized list of options for operators to choose to implement.

Edmon