Re: [idn] Prohibit CDN code points

At 11:37 AM 1/21/2002 -0500, J. William Semich wrote:
>I interpret Mr. Tseng's suggestion differently - that any <ml>.kr could
>indicate Korean, any <ml>.cn could indicate Chinese (or whatever) and any
><ml>. jp could indicate Japanese. I think that's what he means by "we
>assume the ccTLD implied the language used."  Additionally, <ml>.kr.com
>could indicate Korean, etc.

Bill,

Thank you for the clarification.

As to the proposal itself, and the discussion about it:

Unfortunately, the suggestion to tie character-set interpretation to
particular TLDs has several basic flaws.  First, it creates considerable
complexity in the global DNS software.  Second, it makes the incorrect
assumption that we can know exactly what choices to make.

Chinese in Japan will not be served well by the assumption that all
characters under .jp are japanese.  Japanese in China will not be served
well...  And so on.  Both Japanese and Chinese are badly served by this
rule in Korea, of course.

It also attempts no solution for characters under gTLDs.

In general, threads like the current one are examples of a failure to
appreciate the complexity of creating special conditions and rules for
Internet protocols.  Such idiosyncrasies in protocols make them much more
difficult to implement correctly and usually destroy their ability to scale
well.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464