Re: [idn] Prohibit CDN code points

At 12:32 PM -0500 1/21/02, ben wrote:
>So the question still remains... what to do about the current gTLD
>registrations if infact we want to prohibit CDNs.

There is certainly more than one question if we want to prohibit CDNs.

- What do companies who are not in a ccTLD do if they want to use
Chinese names in their domain names? For example, it would make sense
for a company that has a Chinese subsidiary to want to use that name
in a domain name under their primary name, such as
<Chinese-name>.company-name.com.

- Looking one level up, if ICANN decides to allow internationalized
TLDs (as many of us hope they will), will Japan and Korea be forced
to use unnatural spellings of their names? For how long?

- There are tens of millions of Chinese people who do not live in
China or Taiwan. Should those people be forced to register only in
.tw or .cn in order to use their personal or company names?

- What do Japanese and Koreans do if rendering their names
phonetically is inexact? For example, homonyms are quite common in
Japanese (I don't know about Korean), and the current proposal
restricts people and companies to fighting to be first to register a
phonetic homonym when there would be no fight for them using Han.

There are certainly many other questions that this proposal (for
which there is no Internet Draft, by the way) brings up.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium