Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names

Harald,

  I see in the on-the-fly CNAME RR draft [page 4],
     (http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vrang-idn-cname-00.txt)

"The method will cause confusion with HTTP/1.1 named virtual hosts and
other services where the server wishes to know which name the client is
trying to use for him; unless the server executes the mapping algorithm
himself, the name that the client hands to the server will not match
any name that the server knows for itself. "

    To name the "other services" explicitly, including pure standalone client applications,
             email/hostname search failures in local addressbook/ldap directory/legacy DB,
             certificate verifications failures in HTTPS & SMIME from browser/mail clients,
             Java applet security mechanism failure,
             other hostname based security mechanisum failure
             consistent browser cookie handling failure between sessions,
             virtual mail hosting failures,
             and many IDN-aware/nonaware in-house applications failure which do hostname comparisons

      many of them may be noticeable or may *NOT* noticeable to operaters or end users!
      Just fail, providing no clues!
      Similar problems occur in treating unassigned code points.

  Apporaches using DNAME RR or A RR (so popular "multiple registrations") and localizations
    also share the same disadvantages. very costly tricks that make troubles.

  These approaches cannot solve TSCONV problem  and
   Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/Cherokee lookalike problems, rather, make them more complicated.

  IDN is not suitable for mission critical internet identifier system.
  rather,i feel it is like a toy.

Soobok Lee