DNAME (Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names)

--On 17. januar 2002 23:11 -0800 David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>
wrote:

> On 1/17/02 10:52 PM, "Harald Alvestrand" <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> Note: DNAME is, at the moment, not a popular record in the DNS.
>> It creates MANY interesting problems; currently, most DNS people seem to
>> be in favour of declaring it useless for standards-track protocols.
>
> Oh?  Where have these discussions been occuring?

that is what I have understood from DNSEXT and the NGTRANS WG.
The NGTRANS/DNSEXT discussions in London concluded that DNAME was not
needed for introducing IPv6, but that DNAME might have other uses, so
NGTRANS should not speak about whether it should be on standards track or
not - just that v6 does not need it.

DNAME has been mentioned in a total of 15 messages (out of 1005) on DNSEXT
since I changed mailers this summer; it hasn't been a very active topic
recently.

But you are probably better able to speak authoritatively about its status
than I am.....

                  Harald