Re: Comments on the NAT66 draft

Gert Doering writes:
Hi,
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 01:47:20AM -0700, EricLKlein@softhome.net wrote:
Now the problem will be getting consensus across the various WGs that seem to have taken up beyond what v6OPS did and agree to make such a statement. I am sure that we now have Behave and Softwires DHCPv6 (and others?) looking into NAT as there is still a perception that NAT is needed even after Site Locals were depreciated in RFC 3879 which became an RFC back in September 2004.

I'm not sure I understand why NAT and the depreciation of site-locals have any deeper relationship?
ULAs exist.

Site Locals addresses were very similar in functionality to RFC 1918 addresses, that was apparently why they were created. Now people are trying to revive the patch known as NAT into v6 when it is still not clear why they are needed beyond "that is how we always did it" solutions. If RFC 3879 and RFC 4864 are not detailed enough as to why local only addresses are not part of v6 lets do a proper need and gap analysis and then design a solution to what is really needed.