Re: Comments on the NAT66 draft

Iljitsch, This is why we have RFC 4864, and the comment that the IETF does not support NAT in IPv6. We need to find a way to make it crystal clear that NAT is not part of v6 and using it will be non-standard.
And this is why I think this draft will cause more harm than good.
Eric
Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:

Well, if that's what we want to avoid, we shouldn't be coy and come out and say that IPv6 NAT won't be accommodated in IETF protocols. What seems to be happening today is that we all look the other way and pretend the issue doesn't exist, because we either assume that of course there won't be any IPv6 NAT or of course there will. So we are on our way ending up with the same situation that we encountered with IPv4: suddenly, it's no longer realistically possible to deploy a protocol that isn't NAT-friendly, but there are so many different NATs that it's impossible to be friendly to them all, and many of them operate is very suboptimal ways that could have been avoided with some forethought.