RE: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

I don't recall if RFC4821 was included in your earlier list.  RFC4821
describes how to do Path MTU Discovery without ICMP.

As you know, doing PMTUD over UDP requires each application to do it
themselves.  Marc Petit-Huguenin describes how to do RFC4821-style (that is,
ICMP-less) PMTUD for UDP in draft-petithuguenin-behave-stun-pmtud-01, provided
the application can demultiplex STUN messages from its normal application
payloads (the STUN magic-cookie and the STUN fingerprint can be used to demux,
which makes demuxing easier).

-d