Re: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

Christian Huitema  - Le 8/15/08 10:14 PM :
By 2008, the IETF might recognize that firewalls are here to stay, that we could just as well forget about ICMP, but that we really need
another solution.

1.
- I agree with you that Firewalls are here to stay (and not only in hosts themselves where they are more and more an absolute must). - To avoid too much parasite traffic on radio links, there seems to be no altarnative to FWs in ISP infrastructures.

2.
On the other hand, forgetting about ICMP altogether would be a revolution which, IMHO and with available information, would make no sense. (But if you have more material on the subject, it's of course worth looking at.)

3.
- How ICMP error messages coming from external realms MUST be treated in NATs is well proposed in section 4.2.1 of http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-08.txt.
- IMHO, firewalls have no reason to act differently.

Regards.

Rémi Després