RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Yes, I was trying to avoid use of (and the access network having to know
routing for) addresses in a different subnet. Before I drop this notion,
let me describe a little better what I need a global address for:

The device that physically includes the CPE router needs to be able to
*initiate* traffic to global addresses on the upstream for the following
purposes:
1. SIP client (SIP registration, SIP invite, etc.); SIP server cannot be
assumed to be "known" to the access network -- it's just another
destination on the Internet
2. various tests, including echo requests, traceroute, http file upload
and download for throughput testing, to destinations on the Internet
3. TR-069 remote procedure calls (running over HTTPS/TCP/IP) for remote
management; the TR-069 server cannot be assumed to be within some sort
of "management domain" of the access network -- it should be thought of
as just another destination on the Internet

In addition, it needs to be able to *receive* incoming traffic:
2. SIP client receives SIP invites
3. HTTP server can be temporarily enabled (by the customer) to allow the
help desk to troubleshoot by using the device's http UI (of course,
using https); help desk is somewhere out on the Internet, and cannot be
assumed to be able to come in through a controlled part of the access
network.

I don't think these functions are appropriate for something that's
described as a "loopback interface for management purposes". But since I
really don't understand what that loopback interface is, I'd appreciate
others' opinions. Are there other options, or should I just give up and
get a global address from SLAAC/stateful DHCPv6?
Barbara