Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

Mikael,

> If you want to remove the merit of my proposal on the basis that I haven't
> supplied RFC quality text to support it, well, then the IETF process is
> broken because it doesn't listen to what the operational community has to
> say. I am supplying operational input here, not RFC proposals.

No, no. at least, as I said, I think your input is quite important and usuful.

But at the same time, please do not think that you're the ONLY person
supplying operational input here.

Please be noticed that we NTT is also one of ISPs have a lot of
operational experiences for IPv6(and of course IPv4), has already
deploying commercial IPv6 services at huge scale
and I am supplying operational input here from our real operation and RFC proposals.
                                                                  ===
Also please do not disparage IETF activities and
Please have respect for the standardization.
If you just say what you want and ask somebody else to modify the text
so that it should be compatible with YOUR opinion, I don't think that's fair.

> > Again, so I like the following original text of draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-00.txt
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > 5.3.  Acquire IPv6 address and other configuration parameters
> >
> >   The CPE Router must process RAs received on the WAN interface and as
> >   instructed by the RA message, acquire global IPv6 address for WAN
> >   interface using SLAAC or DHCPv6.
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have no problem with this, apart from that it doesn't say what should be
> done if there is no WAN address received.

Fmm.. sounds strange.. because according the above text, the CPE Router must
acquire global IPv6 address for WAN interface using SLAAC or DHCPv6.
There is no possiblity to have no WAN address received, isn't it ?

> I am not saying your solution shouldn't be done, I'm saying I want the
> possibility of both,

I see. OK Then, how about like this ? (This is actually just an idea. I think
that Wes and Hemant are able to write better text than mine...)

    The CPE can acquire global IPv6 address for WAN interface using SLAAC or DHCPv6.
    In this case, The CPE can be anything, a router CPE, a host, strong host model or
    week host model, following RFC3484 recommendation or even not.
    If operator that the CPE is going to connect, does not assign
    any global IPv6 address for WAN interface, there is a limitation on CPE
    architecture so that source address on it should be selected from
    PDed address which is not recommended in RFC3484.

Best wishes,

Shin Miyakawa