RE: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

>It does not make sense to bundle PC and laptop in the category
>of a device that will ask for IA_PD option from DHCPv6 server.

Why not?

>Further this draft clearly says it's describing a home CPE
>Router in Internet enabled homes. Most common home Internet
>connection is cable or DSL. So where does the question come
>from for a cellular router in one's home? Are you talking
>about wireless Internet services for the home? Even if that is
>the case, so what? As far as there is a link from that
>wireless service device to the CPE Router, this draft covers
>even that deployment.
>
>I don't think the CPE Router discussion is ambiguous. We are
>just not discussing a mobile phone in this CPE Router discussion!

The speeds of cellular networks are becoming reasonably fast by
introduction of HSDPA, EV-DO, 802.16e, LTE, and whatever further
generations there are coming. Furthermore flat rates are also gaining
popularity.

While cable and DSL are the current choices for Internet connectivity
for majority of people, I believe there are already, and in future will
be more, people who are willing to pay for flat rate Internet just once,
and they may choose to pay it only for their cellular connectivity - as
they can take that with them wherever they go.

It should be noted that the cellular device may not only be just handled
_phone_, but it can be integrated into car, bus, train, laptop, or even
be a square box that sits in fixed place - it just gets WAN connection
via cellular network and shares it to local (W)LAN. The network itself
should not care too much what the router behind the wired or wireless
link looks like.

I'm not saying that draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router should describe these
uses, but I'm interested to learn that if it does not, then maybe it
would be nice to have another document that would describe the uses
cases and recommendations for such category of devices.

In v4-only world some of these cellular devices already implement NAT
and DHCP server to share to LAN the single IPv4 address they got from
the network via point-to-point link. In v6 they should implement ND
proxies and DHCPv6 PD (to avoid need to do IPv6 NAT). For providing IPv4
connectivity for legacy devices in LAN when having only IPv6-native
access network, these devices shall implement some of those
IPv4-over-IPv6 technologies and then NAT the IPv4 address obtained e.g.
with DSMIPv6, MNAT-PT etc. for the devices in LAN and RFC1918 space.

Best regards,

	Teemu