Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

Mikael Abrahamsson writes:
I never said all IPv6 speaking HOSTS need to do this. For me a CPE is something that is involved in the delivery of a service, not an end user host device. I see two different services, one which is for connecting a single device and nothing else, and another service where the customer has a router and several hosts behind it. If this is another definition of a CPE, then I need to change my terminology to avoid confusion. Am I using the wrong terminology?

It seems to me that there is a confusion in terminology that is feeding this mail chain. Common usage has CPE being both the edge device (1)(DSL modem with or without built in router), Router/Switch (2)(built in DSL, Ethernet, WiFi, etc.), and the end-user device (3) (PC, Laptop, PDA, dual function Mobile phone). This document seems to deal with 1 and 2 only while discussion is mostly on 3. It seems to me that we need to separate these topics to edge and End-user rather than the general CPE (what happens when these are mobile like with 802.16e). We know that almost all (I am tempted to say all) PCs and laptops support dual stack today, but I would love to hear about the other end-user devices the so called "internet devices" from companies like Nokia. Are they dual stack already?
Eric