Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

teemu.savolainen@nokia.com writes:
We know that almost all (I am tempted to say all) PCs and laptops support dual stack today, but I would love to hear about the
other
end-user devices the so called "internet devices" from companies like Nokia. Are they dual stack already?

On the mobile side the situation generally is fuzzier than on "PC"-side.

When looking just at the operating systems commonly used in mobile
phones such as Symbian, Linux, Windows Mobile, and OS/X, they all by my
understanding include both IPv4 and IPv6 stacks (most likely the other
(proprietary) OS'es that are used have IPv6 support implemented as
well).
However, it is then totally different matter whether the actual products
that are using those operating system have IPv6 enabled/compiled in -
currently many products are sold as IPv4-only due to lack of demand for
IPv6-support from operators and customers, but also many products being
sold have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.

Thank you this is what I suspected.
Do you think it would be beneficial to have a BCP or something that
would describe how the category (3) devices should behave? As category 3
devices are used in various networks and also often move pretty freely,
it may be that different networks provide different services, and e.g.
DHCPv6 PD is not available in all networks. Still these devices must
provide good user experience, thus I believe they have to support ND
proxies as well to always being able to provide connectivity for local
network. There probably are other things to consider as well that would
be good to document?

Having looked at what 3GPP has documented, and listening to what the WiMAX Forum have been working on, it is clear to me that no one has fully considered the implications of mobile devices with IPv6, especially in regards to roaming to between either v4 and dual stack vs. completely dual stack networks vs v6 only networks. And the fact that CPE and end-user devices can be either v4 only (see my original comment above) or dual stack, but these different groups are contemplating v6 only networks and devices (which is several years in the future at this point). So in short, yes I think a BCP / use case document would be very helpful to both the vendors and service providers who are looking towards the future.
Best regards,
Eric