Re: Tunnel-to-NAT scenario

On 17 jun 2008, at 1:09, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

I believe that we also need to come up with a solution for an
IPv4 initiator reaching a server with IPv6-only connectivity.
My question is whether we can be satisfied with a solution
that requires that server to be dual stack, so that it can
tunnel IPv4 in IPv6 to a conventional IPv4-to-IPv4 NAT.
(Crude diagram below.)

[...]

|Server|IPv4 |Encaps |__________|Decaps|NAT44|__________|IPv4 |Client|
|      |stack|in IPv6| IPv6 net |      |     | IPv4 net |stack|      |

How does the tunneling help? The actual packet mangling should be simple enough, the problem is that the client can't express the IPv6 destination in an IPv4 packet without modifications to the IPv4 client (and those modifications would be unlikely to work through middleboxes).